Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Administrative Offices
Office of Academic Affairs


Academic Distinction
  1. To graduate with academic distinction, baccalaureate and associate degree candidates must rank within the highest 10% of the graduating class of their respective degree-granting units. Additionally, baccalaureate degree candidates must have completed a minimum of 60 hours at Indiana University. Associate degree candidates must have completed at least half of the hours required for their degree at Indiana University.
  2. The determination of students eligible for graduation with academic distinction will be done by degree-granting units so that students will be ranked with classmates who receive the same type of degree.
  3. Each degree-granting unit shall determine the appropriate GPA requirements for the three levels of recognition: distinction, high distinction, and highest distinction.
  4. In the application of this policy, questions about ties and fractions shall be decided by the degree-granting unit. To go beyond the 10% restriction in the event of a tie should not be construed as a violation of this policy.
  5. This policy shall apply to students first matriculating at Indiana University in the fall semester of 1983-84 and thereafter. Those who matriculated prior to that time shall be eligible for degrees with academic distinction under the guidelines which prevailed at the time of their matriculation in the degree-granting unit in question.
  6. The standards recommended here are minimum standards, and any degree-granting unit may adopt standards that are in excess of these.

(University Faculty Council, April 26, 1983; Nov. 27, 1984)

A Highest Passing Grade
F Failed
Extended X      Retaken [See (a) Below]
FN Failed/Unofficial Withdrawl [See (f) Below]  
I Incomplete
R Deferred Grade [See (b) Below]
S Satisfactory [See (c) Below]
W Withdrawn [See (d) Below]
P Passed [See (e) Below]

(Faculty Council, Jan. 4, 1949-, Dec. 1, 1953-, and subsequent actions cited below)
  1. Extended X -- Any undergraduate student may retake an IU course for which he/she received a grade below an A. A student may exercise this option for no more than three courses, totaling no more than 10 credits. A student may use this option only once for a given course. The student's transcript shall record both grades. For the course retaken, only the second grade shall be counted in the determination of the student's grade-point average (GPA). the grade for the course that has been replaced shall be marked with an "X" on the transcript.

    (IU Kokomo Faculty Council, October 20, 2003)

    Implementation procedures for the Extended X policy:
      1. The extended X Policy replaces the FX policy.
      2. Any prior undergraduate course will be eligible for replacement if the replacement course is taken Spring 2004 or later under the new policy.
      3. The following grades cannot be replaced under the Extended X Policy: S, P, W, I R, NC.
      4. GPA credit hours for the replaced course will be removed at the point at which the course is replaced.
      5. Courses repeatable with different content are not eligible for replacement under this policy unless an academic unit chooses to permit this by means of a specific authorization procedure.
      6. A student may not replace a grade with the second grade of W, I, R, or NC.
      7. A student who has failed a course due to academic dishonesty may not retake that course for grade replacement under this policy.
      8. Enforcement of the Extended X policy shall be the responsibility of the school or division which certifies the student's fulfillment of degree requirements.
      9. Problems relating to the policy shall be referred to the school or division dean, or the administrator fulfilling the equivalent responsibility on the campus.
      10. In the initial implementation of the Extended X policy, IUK joins other campuses in honoring the principle that the grade forgiveness policy on the degree-granting campus is applicable for each student.
      11. This policy does not apply to students enrolled in the Purdue University School of Technology programs.
  2. The grade R (Deferred Grade) used on the final grade report indicates that the nature of the course is such that the work of the student can be evaluated only after two or more terms. The grade R is appropriate in thesis and research courses in which the student's work is evaluated when the thesis or research is completed. It may also be used at the end of the first term of a two-term course or a course that overlaps two terms if the course is announced as a Deferred Grade course in the Schedule of Classes. The grade R is appropriate only so long as there is work in progress. This procedure will assure the approval of the department and the willingness of the students to take both terms of the course before getting a grade.

    At the end of the second term of a Deferred Grade course or when a thesis or research project is complete, the instructor shall submit the student's grade for the last term on the grade sheet for that term and/or send a Removal-of-Deferred-Grade card through the office of the dean of the student's school to the Office of the Registrar. If work is interrupted due to extenuating circumstances, a special arrangement between student and instructor must be made on a term-to-term basis. If a student drops out of a course before the work is complete, the instructor must assign a regular grade for the course.

    (University Faculty Council, Feb. 8, 1977)
  3. Prior permission must be sought from the School Dean and the Dean of the Faculties to offer a course on a Satisfactory/Fail basis. The grade of S may be awarded only for such approved special courses; S and F are the only grades which may be awarded to enrollees in such a course.

    (Faculty Council, Feb. 2,1954)

  4. The W grade may not be recorded by an instructor unless the student has officially withdrawn from the course. See also "Grades given upon withdrawal from courses," below.

    (Administrative Practice)

  5. The grade P (Pass) is a grading option a student may elect with the approval of the student's dean, under the procedure established by the school or division. Instructors of undergraduate students are not notified of students registering for this option; all instructors should record a regular letter grade, which if D- or higher, will be changed to P when grades are processed by the Registrar. The P grade cannot subsequently be changed to a grade of A, B, C, or D.

  6. In compliance with Federal Regulations relating to Students Assistance General Provision (34 CFR 668.22), Indiana University is required to determine whether a refund or repayment of federal aid is necessary when a student ceases to attend class and fails to notify the university that he/she is withdrawing. This particular situation is commonly referred to as an "unofficial withdrawal". A new grade of FN has been established for internal use only and when the FN is used, the comments section should include the last date the student attended.

Last updated: 09/14/2018