Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Administrative Offices
Academic Affairs


Circumstances Permitting Incompletes

The grade of Incomplete used on the final grade reports indicates that the work is satisfactory as of the end of the semester but has not been completed. The grade of Incomplete may be given only when the completed portion of a student's work in the course is of passing quality.

Instructors may award the grade of Incomplete upon a showing of such hardship to a student as would render it unjust to hold the student to the time limits previously fixed for the completion of his/her work.

(Faculty Council, Nov. 5. 1952; Feb. 19, 1963)

Uniform Handling of Incompletes

IUK shall maintain a card-file record of Incomplete grades recorded in courses. This record, on a specially designed card completed by the instructor, should include (1) the name of the student, (2) the course number and hours of credit, (3) semester and year of enrollment, (4) the signature of the instructor, (5) a brief statement of the reason for recording the Incomplete, and (6) an adequate guide for removal of the Incomplete grade (with a suggested final grade) in the event of the departure or extended absence of the instructor from the campus.

(Faculty Council, Feb. 19, 1963)

Removal of Incompletes

Methods: A grade of Incomplete may be removed (a) by the student completing the course within the time limit and the instructor sending the appropriate Removal-of-Incomplete form to the Office of the Registrar, and (b) by the dean of the student's school authorizing the change of Incomplete to W.

(Faculty Council, Feb. 19, 1963)

Limits: The time allowed for the removal of an Incomplete is one calendar year from the date of its recording, except that the dean of the student's college or school may authorize adjustment of this period in exceptional circumstances. By assigning an Incomplete an instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the "I" to be changed to an "F" at the end of the appropriate time period, if that instructor does not otherwise act to remove the "I". The Registrar will automatically change the "I" to "F" at the end of the appropriate time period except when an adjustment of the period has been authorized or the student has received a degree since that date. Both the student and the instructor in whose course the student received the Incomplete will be notified of this change of grade.

(University Faculty Council, Feb. 8, 1977)

A student may not re-enroll in a course in which a grade of Incomplete has been recorded.

The student may be denied the fight to make up an Incomplete if it seems to the unit dean and the instructor that it is impractical for the student to complete the course. In this case, the student should be given the opportunity to withdraw from the course.

(Faculty Council, Nov. 5 1952)

Absence from Final Examinations

Where the grade of Incomplete is given because the student missed the final examination, he or she shall be allowed to remove the Incomplete by taking the examination only if he or she has followed the regular procedure to have his/her absence excused and the Committee on Absence has notified the instructor that the student may be permitted to take the examination. If the Committee on Absence, under the Dean for Student Services, determines that the reason for the student's absence is not satisfactory, it should inform the instructor that the grade of Incomplete should be changed to a grade of "F". Where the Incomplete was received because of absence from the final examination, students may prefer to receive a grade of W instead of taking the examination. In such cases, the Dean will not approve the grade of W unless the Committee on Absence has approved the reason for absence.

(Faculty Council, Nov. 5, 1952)

Last updated: 09/14/2018