Why You Should Attend New Student Orientation
At New Student Orientation
You will . . .
Get a Cougar welcome!
• Get to know the IU Kokomo campus in order to find your way around when classes begin.
• Meet other freshmen and transfer students.
• Talk to student leaders about your expectations, fears, and your first year at IU Kokomo.
• Learn about campus organizations, educational opportunities, internship and leadership opportunities, and social activities.
• Obtain information on procedures and policies.
• Learn about various campus resources.
• Meet IU Kokomo faculty and staff and learn how they can assist you.
• Verify that your computer account works and get a first look at the Web-based systems used for your records and registration.
• Get a Student ID.
• Attend Cougar Classes.
Don’t worry if you are still undecided about an academic major!
At IU Kokomo, no attempt will be made to rush you into deciding upon a specific major your first year. You will have ample time to investigate the subjects in which you are interested by choosing an exploratory curriculum. The selection of a major is not immediately necessary, and, the greater the variety of academic experiences you obtain, the easier it will be for you to make an informed decision. During your first year, you will be engaged in the most important task of your years at the university— acquiring a liberal arts education. Since all upper divisions of the university recognize the importance of this goal, they have specified certain groups of courses called general education requirements, which must be fulfilled by bachelor degree candidates. These courses will provide broad exposure to various areas of knowledge. Such curriculum usually consist of courses from humanities; social and behavioral sciences; and natural, information, and mathematical sciences.
Placement Testing: All first-time students need to take the appropriate placement tests. The tests required of you are listed on your admission’s letter. These tests should be taken prior to orientation. Contact the testing center at (765) 455-9395, if you have questions.
Student Computer Accounts: IU Kokomo’s Network ID (Active Directory Service, or ADS) gives you access to registration resources and your student records, campus computing and printing equipment, and a whole world of information. It is important that a student activates an ADS account at least 24 hours prior to his or her scheduled New Student Orientation date. Students can activate their account online at itaccounts.iu.edu, or they can visit the University Information Technology Services Helpdesk located in the IU Kokomo Library, Monday–Thursday, 8 a.m.–9 p.m., and Fridays, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Saturdays 12–5 p.m., and Sundays, 1–5 p.m. Students need to verify their username and password setups by logging on to onestart.iu.edu before their scheduled orientation date. Visit our Orientation Web site at iuk.edu/orientation.