Teacher Licensing

Initial Licensing

Upon successful completion of a Teacher Education Program, successful completion of licensing test(s) and Adult/Child CPR-Heimlich Maneuver-AED certification, teacher candidates can file online for an initial Indiana Teaching license at http://license.doe.in.gov, Licensing Verficiation and Information System (LVIS).

For Information regarding (1) Admission to IU Kokomo and the School of Education, (2) Reactivation of prior IU Kokomo admission, (3) Course offerings relevant to licensure, and (4) Indiana Teacher Licensure, contact an academic advisor.

License Renewal and Continuing Education

The School of Education offers coursework which may be appropriate for Indiana Teacher License Renewal, continuing professional education, and/or personal interest to teachers in addition to programs for initial licensure. Fall or Spring Semester classes are scheduled to meet one evening during the week. The intensive workshop format is used frequently for Summer Session classes. Online courses may also be available.

Graduate Course Registration

Contact Dr. Shirley Aamidor in the School of Education.


Indiana Teaching Licenses vary in requirements for renewal based upon the rules under which the license was issued. Some may be renewed upon completion of six credit hours of appropriate course work in the major or minor areas of licensure and/or appropriate professional education. People licensed under the Rules 46-47 framework and Rules 2002 framework can renew their license with either six hours of college credit related to their licensed area or a professional growth plan. For more information, go to the Indiana Office of Educator Licensing and Development (OELD).

If using a professional growth plan for renewal, work directly with the school principal who will verify the plan.

If using college credit to renew, contact the licensing advisor of the university where the credit was completed.

To apply online for license renewal, go to http://license.doe.in.gov, Licensing Verficiation and Information System (LVIS).

CPR/Heimlich/AED Training

This requirement applies to initial licensure. However, beginning July 1, 2012, applicants will have to meet the CPR/Heinlich/AED requirement for renewals of all their licenses, too. Persons applying for an initial Teacher License must provide documentation of compliance to the School of Education Licensing Officer. This training must be valid at the time of license application and obtained from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or other approved agency.