Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of job can I get with this degree?

As a general rule, a college major does not prepare you for one specific job. Instead, it allows you to develop skills and abilities in your area of interest that can be applied to a broad range of occupations in that field.  Graduates can work for a variety of employers--our degrees prepare you for a variety of jobs that often many employers need. A student earning a degree in Fine Arts may be qualified for a job at a gallery, museum or non-profit. Alternatively, our graduates can go to graduate schools or to professional schools, such as Museum Studies and Masters of Fine Arts.

How many classes do I have to take?

To earn Bachelors of Art degree in fine art, you'll need a minimum of 120 credit hours with 44 credits in fine arts.

What kinds of classes will I have to take?

It will include a mix of required courses, general education courses, and electives. Classes can range from one to five credits. Successful people need exposed to ideas and concepts from other fields of knowledge—to the arts, the physical and social sciences, and the humanities. The art degree requires courses in art history and studio art.

What is accreditation and what does it mean?

Accreditation is a process by which a university is periodically reviewed by an outside organization. IU Kokomo is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

How many students will be in my classes?

The number of students can vary from 10 students in upper level classes to over 100 students in a few of the lower level courses. A typical art class might have 15 students.

What are faculty qualifications?

Most IUK full-time faculty members have the highest degree in their fields. This is usually doctorate degrees, but in some fields it is a masters of fine arts degree. Other faculty members have masters degrees. Many of our faculty are active in their professional fields publishing in international and national journals.

Can I do an internship?

Internships let you lean and apply your skills and knowledge within a real workplace. Internships are available for all degrees with the Department of Humanities. There is a yearly internship with the IU Kokomo Art Gallery.

Can I study abroad with this degree?

There are various short-term "study abroad" programs available. There are currently art history courses offered at IU Kokomo which involve travel to Europe.

Will you help me find a job when I graduate?

IU Kokomo's Office of Career Services, located in the Kelley Student Center, can assist you with aptitude and interest assessments and help you prepare for the job search and interview process.

Are there student organizations for this degree?

There is an active art and new media club called The Studio.

How can I get in touch with my professor?

Professors will put their contact information in their syllabus. Most can be reached by email, by phone, or by visiting their office.

Do I get an advisor to help me schedule classes?

Advising for this major is provided in the Arts and Sciences Advising Center.

How do I change degrees?

You can contact your academic advisor to facilitate a degree change.

What is a major?

A major is your main field of study, such as Communication Arts, English, Fine Arts, Humanities, or New Media Communication.

Can I double-major?


What is a minor?

A minor would be your second field of study. You take fewer credits in a minor than in a major. Many art majors pursue a minor in new media or art history.

Can I minor in anything I want?

Yes, as long as the minor you want is available and you take the required courses for it.

What is a concentration?

This would be a specialized program within your major.

What's the difference between an associate, bachelor, master and doctorate degree?

The differences would be the depth of knowledge and skills you develop and the length of time you spend developing them. Associate degrees are usually 2 years, bachelor's degrees are usually 4 years and master and doctorate degrees are post-baccalaureate programs that can be completed in graduate school.