BS Degree Requirements

New Media studies

The Bachelor of Science in New Media Communication Degree includes four concentrations, allowing you to specialize in a particular area.

  • Graphic Design—learn to be an expert, capable of creating graphics and visual designs for a variety of situations
  • Web Design—learn to be a specialist in creating Web pages and managing Web sites
  • Creative Digital Developmentlearn to be a specialist in video, animation, and/or mobile application development 

The Bachelor of Science in New Media Communication is a 45 credit hour program of study divided into five groups of courses:

  • The Requirements for Humanities & Social Sciences Bachelor of Science Degrees. ~41 credit hours
  • New Media Communication Core. You are required to take all the courses in the core. 12 credit hours
  • New Media Communication Concentration: Each student is required to choose a concentration from the areas listed above. 21-27 credit hours
  • New Media Communication Electives: You are required to take 6-12 credit hours of elective courses either in New Media Communication or closely related areas. The number of credit hours of New Media Electives required varies by concentration and are listed with the concentration--the number of hours taken in the major must total at least 45, when the New Media Core, Concentration, and New Media Electives are combined. New Media Electives includes any course listed in any of the concentrations, any of the other listed courses, and any other course with the NMCM designation not listed elsewhere. Note, it is perfectly acceptable for some of these credits to be additional courses from your area of concentration. For example, a student could take 6 web design courses to meet the concentration requirements and take another web design courses to meet part of theelective requirements.12 credit hours
  • General Education Electives: take ~34 credit hours of other courses

For More Information

  • For information about the degree program, contact Erik Austin Deerly
  • For information about enrolling as a student or transferring credit, contact Kelli Keener