Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
The Master of Arts in Liberal Studes Program is not currently accepting any applications.
This does not impact any students currently in the program.
What Can a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Do for You?
The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (M.A.L.S.) program at Indiana University Kokomo is designed for students with a baccalaureate degree who wish to continue their university education.
The M.A.L.S. program at IU Kokomo is an Associate Member of the Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs (AGLSP).
The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies offers three different tracks: Individualized Studies, Academic Teaching, and Global Studies. Each track has its own requirements. All tracks require the D510-Introduction to Graduate Studies in the first fall semester after admission and the writing of a thesis (supervised by a thesis committee) and thesis defense.
Provides students with the opportunity to take an individualized program of graduate courses and interdisciplinary seminars in a variety of disciplines in the arts and sciences. Students identify and explore significant patterns and connections that exist among the diverse disciplines that define current knowledge. The curriculum includes carrying out independent work, including the design and execution of projects.
- Students whose careers will be enhanced by a graduate credential
- Students who want an organized, challenging program of study for personal self-fulfillment.
Provides students with academic teaching training in the form of teaching assistantships and subject content in the field of their choice (English and Communication Arts are the most popular).
- Students who want to teach at the community college level
- Students who want to teach as adjuncts at the university level
Provides students with a deeper understanding of international issues such as multiculturalism, conflict resolution, human rights, energy, and the environment.
- Students who want a career with international or nongovernmental organizations, government agencies, international business, and media
- Students who want to understand and function effectively in the new global community