Severe Weather Procedures
A Tornado Watch means that weather conditions are such that tornadoes may be created.
A Tornado Warning means that a tornado has been sighted and one should be prepared to move to a place of safety immediately.
On the issuance of a severe weather or tornado WARNING in the area (over the weather radio), Security will immediately call the Physical Plant who will notify everyone in the classrooms. Security and Physical Plant will notify all offices. The Observatory Building will be called via a special number which reaches the telephone on the wall behind the platform in the OY classroom. Physical Plant personnel will also be called by two-way radio by Security. Personnel from the above units will see that all persons are alerted to take the following precautions:
- Main Building--All persons in the building will move to the basement area to the east end and west end of the corridor, away form windows. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- East Building--All persons in the building will move to the first floor hallway, away from windows. Doors should be closed on each end of the hall. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Oy (Observatory) Building--The switchboard operator will call the OY classroom instructor using the special number provided. Students in the classroom should move from the outside wall and stay close to the inside wall. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Kelley Center--All persons should move to Room 130 A, B, C. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Child Care Center-Kelley Center- The switchboard operator will call the Child Care Center. The staff/children will move to the restrooms within the Center. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Library--Move to the basement area.
- Continuing Education Center--Students/staff will be alerted to move to corridors in building, away form windows. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Early Outreach Building--Students/staff will be alerted to move to corridors in building, away from windows. Kneel, and protect face with hands, jacket, etc.
- Science Building -- All persons in the building will move to the basement area.
The Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance will contact the following, to solicit information on closing: Director of Physical Plant, Mohr Construction through the Director of Physical Plant, County Sheriff, and the Indiana State Police. After the above information is collected, the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will be contacted for input and reaching a final decision.
Classes may be cancelled for a portion of a day or for the entire day. That information will be contained in the cancellation message on the radio stations. When classes are cancelled, the buildings are closed. When classes are cancelled at Kokomo, the Outreach classes are cancelled for the same time period.
During periods of inclement weather, the Director of Continuing Studies will be in touch with the various outreach locations in order to keep advised of any weather conditions differing from the Kokomo campus.
Upon making a decision to cancel classes at a particular outreach location, the local radio station in that area will be notified by Media Relations and asked to make appropriate spot announcements.
Students will be instructed to listen to local radio stations or to contact the facility where the class meets to find out whether their class will meet or not. If the local facility has been closed, the outreach classes at that location will not meet. Outreach instructors will be notified by phone if their class is cancelled.
For those individuals on campus that complete time sheets, the time the campus is closed is to be reported as "weather." The only time to be reported, as "weather" is the time the campus is closed. All other time absent will be taken for other accrued time off.