The purpose of this policy is to establish an effective means to encourage capable, mature students to return to Indiana University Kokomo after they have been unsuccessful (i.e., have earned a grade point average of less than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale) in a previous attempt at higher education at Indiana University. The spirit of the policy is to provide a fresh start for Indiana University student just as is accorded to students who transfer to Indiana University Kokomo from other universities.
- The Indiana University Kokomo Forgiveness Policy applies only to Indiana University students pursuing their first undergraduate degree. These students must have been away from the IU system for the past three calendar years (36 months), and must apply to invoke this policy before the end of the first semester of their return to IUK. Implementation of this policy will begin in Fall, 1997.
- The Forgiveness Policy, which can be used only once, applies only to courses taken by the student at Indiana University. Any grades received that reflect academic dishonesty are not subject to forgiveness. Therefore, the registrar's office will evaluate the student's record to verify the nature of the grades prior to the application of the policy.
- Use of the Forgiveness Policy does not mean that alterations will be made in a student's transcript. The only "change" will be the manner in which the student's grade point average is calculated.
- Academic units retain the right to consider records of performance from other universities in determining admission to the unit, granting of honors, and/or other matters. If an academic unit agrees to honor the Forgiveness Policy, the members of that academic unit will evaluate the student's transcript. If the applicant meets the criteria stated in (1) and (2), only those courses in which the student earned a passing grade will be counted towards degree completion. In general, this means courses in which the student earned a grades of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, P, and S. Students must be advised that individual academic units at IUK and other IU campuses may vary in their implementation of this and similar policies. Students will be required to repeat courses in which they earned grades of C- or less, if those courses are required for their majors.
- If the applicant meets the criteria stated in (1) and (2), the student's grade point average based upon only those courses taken after the policy is in effect. From that point on, all the rules of academic probation and dismissal for the appropriate academic unit will apply. After Forgiveness Policy petition approval, the student must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at IUK in order to meet the graduation residency requirement.
- Use of the Forgiveness Policy does not preclude a student from using other available course-specific grade replacement options for course work taken subsequent to re-enrollment.
(Amended Faculty Senate, 1/22/01)