- Parking Services
- General Parking Regulations
General Parking Regulations
INFORMATION AND POLICY GUIDE
It is your responsibility to be aware of the parking/traffic regulations of Indiana University Kokomo. They are provided for your convenience and safety. Please read carefully.
The purpose of parking and traffic regulations is to maintain the efficient flow of traffic on the campus and to provide parking facilities for faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Money derived from the parking system is used to operate, maintain, improve, and expand parking facilities at IU Kokomo.
Campus parking facilities are patrolled from Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–10:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.; and Sundays, 1–6 p.m. Regulations are subject to amendment.
- All vehicles must properly display a valid parking decal affixed on the rear driver’s side window, in order to park in designated parking areas of the IU Kokomo campus. Vehicles not displaying a valid parking decal will be ticketed and the vehicle owner will be held responsible for all fines incurred.
- The speed limit for motor vehicles on university property is 15 miles per hour.
- A legal parking space is between two (2) white, yellow, or green lines. You must have a white, yellow, or green line on each side of your vehicle. Lack of space adjacent to any building is not considered a valid reason for violation of regulations.
- Legal parking of motor vehicles on university property is confined to areas designated for that purpose. Parking is prohibited on the oval drive, driveways, lawns, in crosswalks, fire lanes, loading and service vehicle docks, entrances to buildings, or any other areas where parked vehicles could interfere with the use of the university facilities by others. Violators are subject to ticketing and towing charges.
- For information concerning parking motorcycles, motorbikes, and motor scooters, contact Parking Services, in the Kelley Student Center KC240.
- The person in whose name a parking decal is issued is responsible for all violations by all vehicles displaying that parking decal. A citation is not excused because another person was using the decal. Students may not give a decal to another student by obtaining a second decal.
- Any vehicle in violation of parking regulations, or any that appears to be abandoned may be towed at the owner’s expense.
- Enrolled students, faculty, and staff are not permitted to park in spaces designated as Visitor Parking.
- IU Kokomo honors valid faculty/staff and student parking permits/decals, in comparable parking areas, issued by all Indiana University campuses as well as the other state universities of Indiana. All faculty/staff will be issued “A” parking permits. The “A” permit does not indicate a special parking lot on the Kokomo campus. This was done to make it more convenient for parking on other IU campuses.
- Bicycles must be parked in bicycle racks. No parking permit is required. Do not chain or lock bicycles to undesignated university property or in areas prohibited by fire codes (such as doorways, fire exits, fire plugs).
- Any accident involving a motor vehicle on IU Kokomo property must be reported to the University Police, Kelley Student Center, Room 240, (765) 455-9363 or ext. 363 from any campus/house phone. This office is open Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–10:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.; and Sundays, 1–6 p.m. Outside the above hours, report accidents to the Kokomo Police Department, (765) 459-5101.
- Parking on the drive leading to the stage entrance of Havens Auditorium is strictly prohibited.
- Full-time faculty and staff cannot purchase student parking permits when enrolled in classes. Faculty/Staff members cannot purchase a second permit for any family member working or attending classes at Indiana University.
- If you have a vehicle registered with the University Parking Office, temporary parking tags can be issued to those having vehicle problems.
All parking spaces on the IU Kokomo campus require a permit/decal.
Faculty and Staff Permit Areas
Faculty/Staff parking areas are restricted to those vehicles bearing a valid faculty/staff permit. faculty/staff may park in areas between the yellow or white parking stripes in Lots A, B, C, D and G, except as marked. Areas with yellow parking stripes are restricted 24 hours per day for faculty and staff.
Faculty/staff parking is not permitted in parking spaces designated handicapped parking, student parking, or book store parking without the appropriate permit.
Student Decal Areas
Student parking areas are restricted to those vehicles bearing a valid student decal. Students may park in areas between the green parking stripes in Lots A, C, D and in all areas of Lots E & F. Students may also parking between the white parking stripes in Lots A & D after 5:30 p.m. and all areas of Lot E and Lot F, except as marked.
Student parking is not permitted in parking spaces designated handicapped parking, faculty/staff parking, or book store parking without the appropriate permit.
Handicapped Permit Area
Certain spaces in Lots A, B, C, D, and F are designated as Handicapped Parking. These spaces are clearly marked. A state-issued permit must be displayed along with your regular university permit. In the event that all handicapped parking spaces are occupied, you will be allowed to park in the first available faculty/staff or student unoccupied spaces.
Visitor Parking Area
Parking spaces reserved for visitors to the campus are located in the Kelley Student Center Parking Lot (Lot D & B), and the Main Building Parking Lot. These spaces are not to be used by faculty, staff, administration, or students. Refer to campus map for location.
Two spaces in the Kelley Student Center Parking Lot D east of Library are designated for book store clients. There is a 10-minute limit on this parking area. Using these spaces for any other reason will result in a parking citation.
University Vehicle Area
Six spaces located at the rear of the Main Building (LotA) are designated as University Vehicle Parking and are clearly marked as such. Only Indiana University vehicles are permitted to use these spaces.
An area north of the Main Building is designated for trucks to use as a pull-in area for backing up to the loading dock. Parking in this area is prohibited; vehicles parked there will be issued parking citations.
Violations and Fines
These regulations are internal administrative regulations of the university and do not replace state laws or municipal ordinances.
- Unauthorized parking in handicapped zone: $50.
- Fire lanes subject to city fines: $85.
- Tickets for No Permit Displayed: $25.
- All other fines: $25.
Any vehicle in violation of university parking regulations, or any that are apparently abandoned, may be towed by the contract wrecker company and stored at the owner’s expense. It will be the owner’s responsibility to pay for the tow at the contract wrecker company lot. All tickets must be paid prior to the vehicle being released from the wrecker company. If a tow truck is called to the campus and the owner of the vehicle appears and pays all tickets before the car is towed away, the vehicle will be released to the owner upon payment of a dry run charge to the driver of the tow truck.
Parking Services is located in the Kelley Student Center room 240. The office hours are Monday–Thursday 8 a.m.-8:30 p.m. and Fridays 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Payment of Fines
All traffic violations must be appealed within seven days of the date of the infraction. If the appeal is granted, the parking fine will be removed from students Bursar account. If you have any further questions please contact Parking Services at (765) 455-9557.
Appeal of Traffic Citation
Citation appeals must be filed in writing using the IU Kokomo appeal form. The form must be picked up at Parking Services, Kelly Student Center KC240 or on the web with the Parking Appeal Form (PDF). The parking committee meets regularly to review appeals and appellants will be notified of decision via IU Kokomo email. Unauthorized parking in: Fire Lane, Handicapped, Visitors, or Chancellors Spots are not appealable.
Faculty/Staff permits must be hung from the rearview mirror post with the numbers facing out. For vehicles not having a rearview mirror post, permits must be clearly visible in the center of dash.Students must affix their parking decal on to the outside rear driver’s side window. Convertibles and pickup trucks can affix the decal to the driver’s side lower front window. All decals must be affixed to the vehicle with the adhesive on the decal. Tickets will not be issued the first week of classes for not displaying a permit in student areas only. However, warning notices will be placed on windshields of vehicles not displaying a permit. Students who do not have a permit at the time classes begin should go to Parking Operations, Kelley Student Center KC240 to obtain one. Tickets will be issued beginning the second week of classes for not having a permit. Students who purchase a parking decal and then want to return the decal must do so by the end of the first week of classes to receive a refund. Decals should be returned to Parking Services. No refunds for parking will be given after the first week of classes consistent with campus policy.
Individuals using handicapped parking facilities must have a state-issued permit, in addition to an IU Kokomo parking permit.
- 1. Faculty, Administrative Staff
- a. Full-time: Based on salary.
- b. Part-time faculty: Subject to credit load.
- c. Additional permit: $10.
- 2. Clerical, Service, Technical Staff
- a. Full-time: Based on salary.
- b. Additional permit: $10.
- 3. Students
- a. On-campus credit students: $4.40 per credit hour.
22.3-5.5-2.1C.ACTS 1977 P.L.329, S.1 defines the powers and duties of University Police and powers relating to traffic and parking control. The regulations applicable to traffic and parking may include, but are not limited to the following:
(a) Provisions governing the registration, speed, operation, parking and times, places, and manner of use of motor vehicles, bicycles, and other vehicles.
(b) Provisions prescribing penalties for the violation of regulations may include the imposition of reasonable charges, the removing and impounding of vehicles which are operated or parked in violation of the regulations at the expense of the violator, and the denial of permission to operate vehicles on the property of such an institution.
(c) Provisions establishing reasonable charges and fees, approved by the Trustees of Indiana University, for the registration of vehicles, and for the use of parking spaces or facilities owned and operated by such an institution.The law does not limit or restrict the powers of any other governmental authority with jurisdiction over public streets, roads, or alleys.
Changes and ModificationsAmendments to these regulations will be announced in IU Kokomo publications, in email, and online. Motor vehicle operators are also expected to rely upon and to observe parking signs to note any changes in facilities or in regulations.