Starting a Club
Do you have an idea for a new student club? Here's what you need to do to create a new club at Indiana University Kokomo.
IU Kokomo does not require student clubs and organizations to register and be approved by the university in order to exist on campus.However, if a student group wants to request money from the student activity fee, we require the group to be registered with the Office of Student Activities (see IU Kokomo Student Government Association Bylaws Title X 2A).The registration process includes the following:
- Students who wish to create an organization should submit a completed Intent to Organize Form (PDF) to the Office of Student Activities.
- Next, the student(s) should submit an electronic copy of the club's constitution to email@example.com . (Our office will do a preliminary review to ensure there is no language conflicting with Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. Clubs can view other organization's constitutions and use a sample constitution as a guideline by visiting the Constitutions page). All officers and a majority of the membership must be currently enrolled students of IU Kokomo (See Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct Part 1, D, 3b & 3d).
- Then, the student(s) should submit a completed Student Organization Registration Form (refer to Managing a Club: A. Student Organization Registration).
- Finally, a letter of support from the confirmed faculty/staff advisor(s) of the group should be sent to the Office of Student Activities. Resources for Advisors: Advisor Responsibilities and Advisor Expectations.
- If your group chooses to apply for funding through the student activity fee, see Managing a Club: R: Funding a student organization.