Erik Austin Deerly, M.F.A.
Erik Austin Deerly, M.F.A.
Erik is Assistant Professor of New Media Communication within the Department of Humanities at Indiana University Kokomo. He is an interdisciplinary artist, composer, and designer. He works with still and moving images, sound, and text to create visual and interactive work for print, web, performance, and installation. He also scores soundtracks for film, dance, and video.
Erik is co-founder of Burrdowning Press, an independent book & paper arts venture based in Indianapolis, Indiana. His work in art and design has earned a Webby nomination (1999), two Addy Awards (1988 & 1989), and a South by Southwest National Interactive Design Award (2002, first place). Erik’s visual art has been shown and reviewed nationally; his interactive and audio work has been seen and heard world-wide.
Erik holds a Master of Fine Arts in Interdisciplinary Arts & New Media from Columbia College Chicago and a Bachelor of Music in Composition from Northern Illinois University. He teaches courses in new media and advises the design team for the student-run literary arts magazine, From the Well House.
- Annual Juried Exhibit, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center Frederick MD (juror: Margaret Winslow)
- Providence Art Club 2014 Nationwide All Media Open Juried Exhibition, Providence, RI (juror: Claudia Seymour)
- The Video Show — 3rd International Juried Exhibition of Video and Media Installation, North Branch, NJ (jurors: Josh Azzarella, Lydia Grey, John Harford, Kelly Oliver, Ann Tsubota)
- Terminal Physical Space, Austin Peay State University, Clarksville, TN
- Small Works - Big Talent, Las Laguna Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA (juror: Lori McBride)
- 6th Annual Juried Show, Sylvia White Gallery, Ventura, CA (juror: Sylvia White) (catalogue)
- EXPOSURE, See | Exhibition Space, Long Island City, NY (catalogue)
- Figurative Art Exhibition, The Light Space & Time Virtual Gallery (juror: John R. Math)
- Irvington Presents, Bona Thompson Memorial Center, Indianapolis, IN (juror: Mitch Eckert) (catalogue)
- Electron Salon, Los Angeles Center For Digital Art, Los Angeles, CA (jurors: Peter Frank, Rex Bruce)
- Small Works NYC: A Juried Exhibition, Jeffrey Leder Gallery, New York, NY (juror: Jeffrey Leder)
- Annual Juried Exhibit, Delaplaine Visual Arts Center Frederick MD (catalogue) (juror: Sue Spaid)
- The Art of Remembrance, The Gallery @ AUP, Greenfield, IN (jurors: Elizabeth Hofmann, Brian Noffke)
- Whitewater Juried Art Exhibit, Indiana University East, Richmond, IN (juror: Katherine Sherwood) (catalogue)
- Parallel Universe, Gorilla Tango Theatre, Chicago, IL
- MFA Thesis Exhibition, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL (catalogue)
- Breaking Away, Gallery 37 Center for the Arts – CenterSpace, Chicago, IL
- All About Time, La Lumiere School, LaPorte, IN
- Controlled Substances, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Image Unit, Hot House, Chicago, IL
- Standing Waves in Shoaling Water, Columbia College Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Morph-olio, Metal Works Gallery, Chicago, IL