Sociology, History, & Political Science
Nancy Greenwood, Ph.D
Chair, Department of Sociology, History, & Political Science
Professor of Sociology
Office: KE 358
Ph.D., Sociology, 1982, Washington State University
M.A. Sociology, 1978, California State University, Sacramento
B.A. Social Science, 1976, California State University, Sacramento
A.A. Social Science, 1974, Sacramento City College
ASA Section on Teaching and Learning, Hans O. Mauksch Award for Distinguished Contributions to Undergraduate Sociology, 2011
Indiana University, Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), 2009
Courses Taught at IU Kokomo
- SOC S100 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC S331 Aging
- SOC S338 Gender Roles
- SOC S344 Sociology of Childhood
- SOC S360 Topics in Social Policy—Family Violence
- SOC S470 Senior Seminar in Sociology
- LBST D591 Graduate Seminar in Teaching and Learning
Specialty Areas within Sociology
- Teaching & Learning in Sociology (The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning)
- Family Sociology
- Family Violence
- Sociology of Childhood
Publications and Works in Progress:
- Nancy A. Greenwood, “Using Genealogy to Teaching Family Sociology,” Under revision for publication.
- Nancy A. Greenwood, 2012 Hans O. Mauksch Award Address, for publication in Teaching Sociology, forthcoming 2013.
- Nancy A. Greenwood and Jay R. Howard, First Contact: Teaching and Learning in Introductory Sociology. Rowman and Littlefield, July 2011.
- Bruce Keith, Nancy A. Greenwood, Gary Hampe, Harriet Hartman, Carla Howery, Carol Jenkins, Gayle Kaufman, Peter Meiksins, Donald Reitzes, Susan Ross, Debra Swanson, and Deborah White, Sociology and General Education, ASA Task Force on Sociology and General Education, published by the American Sociological Association, 2007, 56 pages.
Articles Published in Peer-refereed Journals:
- Nancy A. Greenwood, "Androgyny and Adjustment in Later Life: Living in a Veteran's Home," Journal of Clinical Geropsychology, 1999.
- Nancy A. Greenwood, "An Interview with Reece McGee," Teaching Sociology, 23:165-176, (April) 1995.
- Nancy A. Greenwood and Margaret L. Cassidy. "A Critical Review of Family Sociology Texts, Teaching Sociology, 18:541-549 (October) 1990.
- Nancy A. Greenwood and Margaret L. Cassidy, "A Review of Introductory Marriage and Family Texts: Standards for Evaluation". Teaching Sociology, Vol. 14. No. 4, (October) 1986.
- Nancy A. Greenwood, course materials for Teaching About Family and Gender Violence: A Collection of Instructional Materials, edited by Barbara Keating, ASA Publications, 2007.
- Gary R. Lee and Nancy A. Greenwood, “Comparative Research Methodology” in Comparative Families, Sage Publications, 2005.
- Nancy A. Greenwood, course materials for Sociology of Family Violence in Resource Material for Teaching About Family Violence, 1st and 2nd editions, edited by Barbara Keating, ASA, Teaching Resource Center Publications, 1998 and 2003.
- Nancy A. Greenwood, Senior Seminar in Sociology, syllabus published in Instructional Materials for the Capstone Course, edited by Theodore C. Wagenaar, American Sociological Association’s Teaching Resource Center, 1997.
- Nancy A. Greenwood. "Interview," Voices From the Classroom, edited by Dean Dorn, American Sociological Association, 1996.
- Nancy A. Greenwood. "Friendship Interaction Among the Elderly: Substantive and Methodological Issues," Aging Showcase edited by Greg Sanders and Jane Winge, published by Family Studies Institute, North Dakota State University, 1986.
- Study Guide for Textbook:
- Nancy A. Greenwood. Study Guide for Marriages and Families: Making Choices Throughout the Life Cycle, second edition, by M. A. Lamanna and A. Riedmann, Wadsworth Publishing Company, Belmont, California, 101 pages, 1985. Also, Test Items for the same text, 131 pages, 1985.
Professional and Community Service
- Faculty Advisor for the Sociology Club, Indiana University Kokomo.
- Administrator for the Sociology Majors’ facebook page. (If you are an IU Kokomo, Sociology Major, you can friend “Doc Greenwood” and ask to join.)
- Consultant, Program Reviewer, and Workshop Organizer, American Sociological Association, Department Review Group, since 1993
- Lead Editor, American Sociological Association’s Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology (TRAILS), Introductory Sociology and Social Problems Area, with Jay R. Howard since 2010.
- Editorial Board Member, Teaching Sociology (1987-1989, 2007-2010) and reviewer 1985 to present
- Member, Board of Directors of Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Howard County, since Jan 2010.
- CASA Volunteer, Tippecanoe County CASA, 1997-2007.
- American Sociological Association
- Midwest Sociological Society
- Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology