Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Add or Drop a Class


Students may add a class after the first week of classes by completing a Schedule Adjustment Form signed by the instructor. The completed form must be processed by the Office of the Registrar, located in the Kelley Center, room 208.


 If you register after the term begins, you will be assessed a late registration fee.  Go to the bursar web page to find late registration fee amounts.  If you register after the first week of classes, a completed Schedule Adjustment Form, signed by the instructor, must be processed by the Office of the Registrar, located in the Kelley Center, room 208.


After the first week of classes and through the end of the Automatic W period, you may process your drop/withdrawal by using eDrop, which is available in One.IU. After you’ve logged into One.IU, type Late Drop/Add classes in the search bar and search. During the first eight weeks of class (four weeks in Summer Sessions), a grade of W is automatically granted.

After the Automatic W period, the instructor’s signature is required on a Schedule Adjustment form.  The instructor will assign a grade of either W or F, depending upon the level of work at the time of the drop/withdrawal.  The completed form must be brought to the Office of the Registrar, located in the Kelley Center, room 208, for processing.  Failure to do so will result in a grade of F being recorded. 

The deadline for drop/withdrawal is two weeks (one week in Summer Sessions) before the last day of classes.  To see deadline dates for drops/withdrawals, and refunds. Please go to the bursar web page.

Failure to pay your fees or issuing a stop payment through your bank does not constitute an official drop/withdrawal. Students should review the refund calendar posted on the Office of the Bursar's Web site. You must officially drop/withdraw by the published deadlines. If you do not officially drop/withdraw, you will be responsible for all fees and will receive failing grades in all registered classes.

If you are eligible for financial aid but do not plan to complete the semester, you must withdraw from your semester classes by the withdrawal deadline. Students receiving financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid before making a schedule adjustment to determine how the change will affect eligibility and payment.


After the drop/withdrawal deadline for the term, you may drop/withdraw only with the permission of your dean.  This approval is given only for urgent reasons relating to extended illness or equivalent distress.  To qualify for the grade of W, you must be passing the course on the date of withdrawal.  If you are failing the course on the date of withdrawal, your grade will be an F.

Last updated: 02/05/2016