Skip to main content
Skip to main navigation
Skip to search

Helping Others

If you are concerned about someone, know they are going through difficult times and have tried to help but don’t know what else to say, maybe it’s time to recommend counseling.

Here are a few simple guidelines that will help most people respond well and actually appreciate your concerns:

  • Speak directly in a straightforward fashion.
  • Do not attempt to coerce or trick the student into seeking counseling.
  • Make it clear that the recommendation represents your best judgment based on observations of their recent behavior.
  • Be specific regarding the behaviors of concern.
  • Leave the option open for the person to accept or refuse counseling EXCEPT in emergencies (i.e. suicidal or homicidal intents.)
  • If comfortable, ask the person’s permission to contact CAPS or another mental health provider while he or she is present.
  • Offer to accompany the person to CAPS or another facility.
  • Let CAPS know if you consider the situation to be an emergency and we will make all attempts to arrange for that person to be seen immediately.
  • Follow up with the person at a later date to indicate continued interest even if he or she did not accept the attempted referral.

***Get involved within your comfort level and capacity to help.***

THRIVE brochure

Contact CAPS (765-455-9364) for consultation services or the Campus Observation Response Team for additional support.

If you do not feel safe providing assistance, or the student leaves/walks away in crisis, call 911 or the University Police at 765-455-9363 depending on the severity of the situation. Emergency services can be accessed 24 hours a day by calling Howard County Regional Health at 765-453-8555.

Last updated: 12/19/2016