School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of Humanities
Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
The Bachelor of Fine Arts is 120 credit hours, 84 of which are fine arts courses. The courses can be broken down as follows:
- Campus Wide General Education Requirements
- Fine Arts Core (minimum of 84 cr. hr.)
- 15 hours of Art History A 101, A 102, Contemporary Art, Philosophy of Art, one other 200 or above
- 12 hours of foundations studio courses (F100, F101, F102, S215)
- 54 hours of studio courses courses at the 200 level or above with a minimum of 30 at the 300 level or higher.
- All art courses require a grade of a C- or higher to count toward the major.
- A senior capstone experience (S400 – 2 cr. hrs. and Y398 – 1 cr. hr.) must be satisfactorily completed.
- The Senior Capstone Experience in Fine Arts
The purpose of the senior capstone experience is to provide students with opportunities to demonstrate that they have mastered a depth of knowledge in the major, that they can integrate knowledge within their creative endeavors, and that they are able to communicate coherently.
The capstone experience is made up of the following:
- An individual exhibition of their representative work reflecting the program goals.
- A written statement about their exhibit, goals, techniques, process approach and influences and course for future direction.