School of Sciences
Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Entering freshmen must take SSCI-E 105 Science Freshmen Learning Community (1 cr.).
- General Education. Students must complete all of the requirements of the Indiana University Kokomo campus-wide general education curriculum. The General Education requirements in quantitative literacy, critical thinking, and physical and life sciences are satisfied by the major.
- Mathematics and Informatics. Students must takes MATH-K 310 Statistical Techniques (3 cr.), MATH-M 215 Calculus I (5 cr.) (a grade of C- or higher is required), and INFO-I 101 Introduction to Informatics (4 cr.).
- Specific Biochemistry Degree Requirements: Chemistry Courses (28 credits, all with grades of C- or higher) - Students must complete CHEM-C 105 Principles of Chemistry I (3 cr.), CHEM-C 106 Principles of Chemistry II (3 cr.), CHEM-C 125 Experimental Chemistry I (2 cr.), CHEM-C 126 Experimental Chemistry II (2 cr.), CHEM-C 341 Organic Chemistry I (3 cr.), CHEM-C 342 Organic Chemistry II (3 cr.), CHEM-C 343 Organic Chemistry I Laboratory (2 cr.), CHEM-C 344 Organic Chemistry II Laboratory (2 cr.), CHEM-C 361 Physical Chemistry I (3 cr.), CHEM-C 310 Analytical Chemistry (3 cr.), CHEM-C 311 Analytical Chemistry Laboratory (2 cr.).
- Biochemistry Courses (10 credits; must include CHEM-C 483 and CHEM C-487, all with grades of C- or higher) —Students must complete ten credits from the following courses: CHEM-C 483 Biological Chemistry (3 cr.), CHEM C 329 Proteins and Enzymes (5 cr.), CHEM-C 487 Biochemistry Laboratory (2 cr.), CHEM-C 484 Biomolecules and Catabolism (3 cr.), and CHEM-C 485 Biosynthesis and Physiology (3 cr.).
- Biology Courses (16-18 credit hours, all with grades of C- or higher)—Students must complete the following courses: BIOL-L 105 Introduction to Biology, BIOL-L 211 Molecular Biology, BIOL-L 213 Molecular Biology Laboratory, BIOL-L 321 Principles of Immunology, MICR-M 310 Microbiology, and MICR-M 315 Microbiology Laboratory
- Physics Courses (10 credit hours)—Students must complete either PHYS-P 201 General Physics I (5 cr.), and PHYS-P 202 General Physics II (5 cr.), or PHYS-P 221 General Physics I (5 cr.) and PHYS-P 222 General Physics II (5 cr.).
- Capstone and Research Courses (6-8 credits, all with grades of C- or higher) —Students just complete either BIOL-L 403 Biology Seminar (Capstone) (3 cr.) or CHEM-C 495 Chemistry capstone (3 cr.) and either BIOL-L 490 Individual Study (3 cr.) (Biology Research) or CHEM-C 409 Chemistry research (3 cr.).
- Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Other Science Electives (as needed to complete 120 credit hours, all with grades of C- or higher) CHEM-C 324 Proteins and Enzymes (5 cr.), CHEM-C 484 Biomolecules and Catabolism (3 cr.), CHEM-C 485 Biosynthesis and Physiology (3 cr.), CHEM-C 430 Inorganic Chemistry (3 cr.), CHEM-C 300 Energy and Green Chemistry (4 cr.), BIOL-L 364 Principles of Genetics (3 cr.), BIOL-L 473 Ecology (3 cr.), and BIOL-L 474 Ecology Laboratory (2 cr.).
- 30 of the last 60 credit hours at Indiana University Kokomo.