Faculty members who are administrators and are on 12-month teaching contracts have certain expectations placed on them by virtue of their contracts.
1. They are expected to only take 22 days of paid vacation per year and not to be out of the office for more than 2 weeks at a time. This time does not accrue, carries no monetary value, and cannot be carried over from one year to the next.
2. They must be judicious about their time off for research in that it should not negatively impact the operations of the campus and their offices
Expected Teaching Loads for 12 month faculty/administrators
These courses can be spread out over the semesters (example if two is the expected load, then the dean can teach none in fall, one in spring and one in summer (for no additional pay) if desired). Or the dean can teach both courses in one semester if desired.
1. Deans: Two courses per fiscal year.
2. Associate and Assistant Deans: four courses per fiscal year.
3. Directors of Masters Programs: four courses per fiscal year.
Only in very rare circumstances can a 12-month faculty teach an additional course for additional pay (e.g. an emergency right before the semester starts and a faculty member is incapacitated) 12-month faculty is not expected to be teaching overloads on a regular basis, paid or not paid.
Those in the Dean, Assistant/Associate Dean and Director rank may petition the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for additional release time based on special circumstances (e.g., upcoming accreditation, revision of a program, etc.).
Expected Teaching Loads for 10 month faculty/administrators
These are faculty members who have taken on an additional administrative task for release time. This release time is customarily granted during the academic year. As they are 10-month employees, they are free to teach in the summer for the regular summer pay
1. Directors of a Center (e.g., Center for Economic Education): Release time may range from one course per year to one course per semester, dependent on the workload of the Center.
2. Director of a program (e.g., Honors Program): Release time may range from one course per year to one course per semester, dependent on the workload of the Program.