Resume scanning is more commonly used by employers to seek out employees. When a computer will be the first to read your résumé, it should be altered. If the scannable résumé meets the computer criteria, it will then be seen by the employer.
- Left justify the entire document.
- Use keywords or short phrases to describe your qualifications and abilities. Use jargon and acronyms specific to your industry. Check the job listings and industry-related materials for current buzzwords.
- Increase your list of keywords by including specific names of products and
- services, such as Microsoft Word or Lotus Notes.
- Use nouns more than verbs. For instance, say “project manager” instead of “implemented project.”
- Use common section headings such as Objective, Experience, Employment, Work History, Positions Held, Appointments, and Skills. Use boldface and/or all CAPITAL LETTERS for each of these section headings, as long as the letters don’t touch each other.
- Minimize abbreviations except for common ones, such as M.B.A. or CEO.
- Use a 10- to 14- point font size. Use standard typefaces such as Times New Roman, Arial, New Century or Courier.
- Avoid italics, script and underlined passages. Minimize use of hyphens, bullets, or dashes. Boldface is accepted by most systems unless the employer advises otherwise.
- Avoid graphics, shadings, vertical or horizontal lines and boxes. The scanner reads the text, not graphics.
- Print your résumé on 8½ X 11-inch white paper of average thickness, on one side only, using a laser or other letter-quality paper. Don’t staple or fold multiple-page résumés. Always make sure your name is on all pages.
- Don’t condense spacing between letters.
- Use enough white space between sections. Computers use white space to differentiate between topics.
- When faxing, set the fax machine on “fine mode” instead of “standard mode”.
Scannable résumé example:
NAME IN CAPS
555 Candy Lane
Kokomo, IN 46901
765 555 – 2424
444 Peppermint Lane
Indianapolis, IN 46077
317 555 – 1234
A fulltime position in the area that is my expertise… (You fill it in-see suggested buzz-word list)
Indiana University Kokomo, IN
Bachelor of Science in Management
Minor: Management Information Systems MIS
GPA 3.6 / 4.0
Major GPA 3.8 / 4.0
Graduation May 2014
Fill in with significant core courses for your major that apply for the job. Use one line per course.
Proficient with (pc programs that you are proficient in and are applicable)
Any other skills that are applicable (see buzz-word list)
Bold the Job Title
Basic job description as it applies to job applying for. Dates employed (begin with most recent)
Use buzz-word list based on your occupation and relevant to the position being applied for.