Training Statement of Purpose: To infuse a climate of communal acceptance, this training intends to develop Agency, Action, and Advocacy in faculty and staff. Faculty and staff will hone skills to be agents of diverse initiatives, actively seek opportunities to engage in inclusive activities and discussions, and advocate for all civil individual and cultural perspectives.
- Respect for individuality through having a welcoming and inclusive approach with openness to the ideas and opinions of others in order to promote a civil campus community.
- Develop one’s ability to create an inclusive and responsive environment through thinking critically and empowering others with campus resources and referrals.
- Build skills necessary to participate in transformative work for the betterment of our campus instruction and activities.
- Encourage working across differences to find common ground and advocates for broad interactions that nurture the ability to take action with empathy.
- Be an external entity qualified to facilitate and train faculty/staff effective diversity and inclusive practices.
- Devise case study for campus discussion post session.
- Supply evaluation to submit to the committee.
The Chancellor’s Diversity Excellence Award is awarded for endeavors that promote diversity at Indiana University Kokomo. Support for diversity, which includes aspects such as ethnicity, age, gender, socioeconomic status, disability status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status, is a top goal for IU Kokomo. A plaque and $1,000.00 cash prize will be awarded for programs or activities that:
- Develop new ways to increase Academic Excellence and Student Success among diverse students.
- Attract, support, and retain diverse students, faculty, and staff.
- Enhance connections and partnerships with diverse communities that facilitate educational attainment.
- Prepare students to compete in a global economy.
- Previous Recipients:
- Sarah Heath 2011
- Karla Stouse 2012
- J.R. Pico 2013
- Donna McLean 2014
- Christine Taff 2015
- Ligaya McGovern 2016
- J.R. Pico 2017