We want you to be successful in your first mathematics course at IU Kokomo. Deciding which class to take can be confusing, but if you make use of the ALEKS placement, preparation and learning website, you and your advisor will be able to find the class that will be just right for you! It is important that you complete the steps that follow BEFORE you meet with your academic advisor.
Additional information about ALEKS can be found at the ALEKS FAQ page.
STEP 1: Enroll at the ALEKS website.
- Login to one.iu.edu and search for "New Student Orientation"
- Scroll down to "Task Centers" and click on "New Student Orientation (IU Kokomo)"
- Click on the tile labeled "Mathematics Placement, Preparation and Learning ALEKS (IU Kokomo)"
- You may use any computer with a dependable internet connection.
- You will need your IU ADS username and passphrase. Follow the instructions in your admissions letter to set up your ADS account.
- If you are unable to access ALEKS and it has been more than three business days since you created your DS account, contact the admissions office at 765-455-9217 for assistance.
STEP 2: Complete a practice assessment
- Become familiar with the testing format.
- Discover skills that need to be reviewed.
- Review your academic honesty responsibilities according to the Indiana University Honor Code before starting the practice test.
STEP 3: Strengthen your skills using your personalized ALEKS learning module
- The ALEKS preparation and learning module will help you strengthen the skills that you have forgotten so you will not place into a course that covers material you have already learned.
- ALEKS requires that you spend a minimum of 3 hours in the learning module before you complete your proctored assessment.
- If you are satisfied with the course placement recommendation indicated by your practice assessment, or if you are unable to spend the required three hours in the learning module, the testing center proctor can override this requirement.
- You are required to wait at least 24 hours between your practice assessment and the proctored assessment - use the time to improve your readiness!
STEP 4: Schedule your on-campus proctored assessment
- Call the IU Kokomo Testing Center (765-455-9395) to reserve a time for the proctored assessment.
STEP 5: (if desired) Schedule a second proctored assessment
- You are permitted a total of 4 proctored assessments.
- You must spend time in the prep and learning module between successive proctored assessments. The number of hours required will be displayed in ALEKS.
- You are required to wait at least 24 hours between succesive assessments.
- When you are ready for your next proctored assessment, call the IU Kokomo Testing Center (765-455-9395) to reserve a time for the proctored assessment.