Ph.D. in Finance, University of Florida
MBA. University of Northern Iowa
BBA in Economics University of Iowa
CPA - Certified Public Accountant
CMA - Certified Management Accountant
Area of Expertise:
- Managerial Accounting
- Merger and Acquisition Accounting
- Partnership Accounting
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- Ownership Structure
- Costs and Benefits of Diversity
- Structure of Boards of Directors
Top 10 Selected Publications:
- The Composition and Compensation of the Board of Directors as Predictors of Corporate Fraud (with Joung Yeon Kim and Dianne Roden) - Published in Accounting and Finance Research, Volume 2, 3, 2013, 142-154.
- The Costs and Benefits of Diversity: Are Religious Differences Most Important? (with Jason VanAlstine, and Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Global Business Issues, Volume 7, Issue 2, 2013.
- Quality Perception and the Championship Effect: Do Collegiate Sports Influence Academic Rankings? (with Dianne Roden) - Published in the Research in Higher Education Journal, Volume 6, 2010: 4-14.
- Demutualization: Determinants and Consequences of the Mutual Holding Company Choice, (with Kenneth Carow and Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Banking and Finance, Volume 33, 2009, 1454-1463.
- The Role of Insider Influence in Mutual-to Stock Conversions (with Kenneth Carow and Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Money Credit and Banking, Volume 39, 2007, 1285-1304.
- Have the Big Accounting Firms Lost their Audit Quality Advantage? Evidence from the Returns-Earnings Relation (with Brian Lee and Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Forensic Accounting, Volume 8, 2007: 271-286.
- Mutual Holding Companies: Evidence of Conflicts of Interest through Disparate Dividends (with Kenneth Carow and Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Banking and Finance, Volume 28, Issue 2, February 2004, 277-298.
- The Source and Value of Voting Rights and Related Dividend Promises (with Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Corporate Finance. Volume 8, 2002, 337-351.
- The Effects of Multiple Accountability Pressures on Tax Return Preparation Decisions (with Robin Radtke) - Published in the Journal of Advances in Taxation. Volume 12, 2000, 23-50.
- Initial Public Offerings by Mutual Thrifts: The Regulatory Impact (with Dianne Roden) - Published in the Journal of Economics and Finance. Volume 23, 1999, 113-122.
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Indiana CPA Society
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET)
- Indiana University Graduate Faculty
- Nominated and named a Favorite Professor at IUPUI (2019)
- Indiana University Graduate Faculty (Full-Status) (2004)
- Outstanding Paper in Financial Intermediation at the Midwest Finance Association Annual Meeting, St. Louis, Missouri (March 2003) - Financial award sponsored by Wharton Research Data Services
- Selected to the Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET), (2002)
- Amicus Teaching Award for Resident Faculty, Indiana University Kokomo (2000)
- Outstanding Scholarship Award, University of Northern Iowa (1985)