Pre-Doctorate in P.T.: How Do You Become a Physical Therapist?
If the idea of helping people recover from injury, surgery, or illness sounds like the kind of thing you were made for, maybe you’ve considered becoming a physical therapist. Physical therapists provide expertise in healing for all demographics while also providing emotional support. If you’re empathetic yet able to push people to succeed, if you like to talk and meet people, and have a love for fitness and healthy lifestyles, you may be the perfect fit for the pre-doctorate in physical therapy major at Indiana University Kokomo!
If you’re looking to become a physical therapist, you’ll be happy to know that the outlook for this career is looking pretty excellent! The median annual salary for physical therapists is $86,850 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Aside from the great salary, the field of physical therapy is expected to grow at 28 percent or much fast than average. There is a great need for caring and knowledgeable physical therapists…like you!
5 Things to Keep in Mind As a Pre-Doctorate in Physical Therapy Major
If you think you’ve found your niche and you’re ready to get your start at IU Kokomo, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here’s 5 of the top things a pre-physical therapy major should remember:
- It’s never too early to start thinking about graduate school. If you’re just starting out, it can feel like you’ve got all the time in the world to prepare for grad school but the reality is, it’s never too early to start preparing. Keeping your future grad school application in mind even as early as your freshman year can help you tailor your college experience to help you stand out among future applicants.
- Get involved early and often! One of the most common tips seniors give to underclassmen is to get involved. At IU Kokomo, there are all kinds of student groups and organizations, internship experiences, and other ways to get involved and give back. Not only will these help your future application stand out, they’ll help you experience the world and decide what you want out of life. One perfect fit for you might be the School of Sciences Pre-Professional Club!
- Your academic advisor is a fantastic resource. When you choose a course of study that requires a graduate degree to enter the field, there are a lot of details to stay on top of. Luckily for you, you have an academic advisor on your team – someone who has walked beside other students just like you to help them get to the next step. You’ll want to ensure you meet the requirements of your undergraduate degree at IU Kokomo to graduate on time (most likely a biology, biochemistry, or biological and physical sciences degree), make sure it fits your schedule, and be sure you’ve met the application and prerequisite requirements for your desired graduate program. Why not have a professional on your side?
- Keep an eye out for the STEPS program. We offer an exclusive opportunity to a few pre-professional students called the STEPS program. As a part of this program you get opportunities for mock interviews, tours of healthcare facilities, reviews of the application process for professional schools, and more. Watch your IU email for application deadlines or ask our faculty and staff for more information about this awesome program.
- You can finish your path to becoming a physical therapist at IUPUI. Starting your path to becoming a physical therapist at IU Kokomo is a wise choice. Reasonable tuition = less student debt. Smaller class sizes = opportunities for one-on-one research with esteemed faculty. After you graduate with your bachelor’s from IU Kokomo, you don’t have to travel too far to attend graduate school. IUPUI offers an excellent physical therapy program and by the end, you’ll have two shiny IU degrees to hang in your future office.
For the most recent and up-to-date requirements for our degrees, please visit our Academic Bulletin.
Ready to get moving?
If becoming a physical therapist sounds like the perfect fit for you and you want to get a solid jumpstart, the faculty and staff in the School of Sciences at IU Kokomo can’t wait to meet you. If you have questions about how starting here would help you achieve your goals, reach out. If you’re ready to dive on in and get started, you can fill out an application and apply now! We’re looking forward to meeting you.