To begin, you will need proof of graduation from an accredited baccalaureate degree program in nursing. You will need to submit or do the following:
- Complete an application via the online portal. Search for IU Kokomo under Add Program to find the MSN tracks.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0* or higher on a 4.0 scale from an NLNAV, CCNE, ACEN, or CNEA accredited program. Students who apply to the IU Kokomo MSN program who have graduated from an undergraduate nursing program that does not use / report grade point average (GPA) will be considered for admission if they meet all other criteria and their transcripts contain other indicators of academic success such as dean’s list, academic honors, and grades from other degree programs, etc. Additional considerations for admission include the following: nursing experience, nursing leadership, writing skill, and personal reference recommendations.
- Copy of current Indiana RN license: Current unencumbered license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in Indiana. Applicant must also complete a form statement attesting that there is no action pending or have been taken against his/her licensure in Indiana or any other state s/he currently holds or has held a license to practice nursing or other healthcare profession.
- Three years of recent, relevant RN experience required in medical/surgical, ICU, ER, etc.
- All applicants must submit evidence of having completed a 3 credit (16-week semester) undergraduate (300 or 400 level) or higher statistics course with a B- (80%) or higher grade by the application deadline.
- A master’s level statistics course is required to graduate from the FNP track. The course may be taken prior (within the last five years) to applying or within the plan of study.
- Essential abilities: Applicants must agree to the essential abilities in a variety of areas (judgment, neurological function, emotional coping skills, intellectual / conceptual skills, and other behavioral attributes) as well as meeting all progression criteria.
- Computer skills: Verification of ability to use computer technologies including accessing, retrieving, receiving, and communicating information.
- Criminal background check. The official IU site for students to use is: www.castlebranch.com and the package code is IZ90.
- Submit an official college transcript (degree-granting and graduate courses, if applicable).
- Applicants must provide three professional references (one from your supervisor) who can speak to your clinical expertise and leadership.
- Application fee of $40.
- Short essay on the questions below.
Essay Question 1)
What attributes and current work experiences do you bring that will contribute to your success in the FNP program (community engagement, professional committee work, leadership experience). What are your goals upon completion and graduation?
Essay Question 2)
All students can contribute to the creation of a diverse and inclusive environment when diversity* is defined most broadly. Whether by a personal attribute, characteristic, culture, experience, or behavior please tell us how you believe you will contribute to the diversity of Indiana University Kokomo and the nursing profession. *The concept of diversity includes the following dimensions: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, and religious beliefs.
You are required to write an essay as part of the admissions process.
Please send hard copies of your supporting documents to the School of Nursing and Allied Health Professions at the following address:
East Building, KE 309
2300 S. Washington Street
Kokomo, IN 46904-9003
If you need a paper version of this application, please call 765-455-9308.
Applications must be completed and submitted between March 1 and November 15.
Unfortunately, international students are currently not eligible for this program.
Please note: A 3-credit-hour undergraduate statistics course is required for admission. If you do not have an undergraduate statistics course, if accepted you will be required to take the course in the preceding fall semester. R505 Measurement and Data Analysis (graduate level statistics) are required prior to entry or during your FNP course of study.
If you encounter any problems or difficulties when using the online application portal, please reach out to the IT help desk. You can contact them by emailing your issue to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 765-455-9315.