- Exceptions to this rule may be granted by the IU Kokomo Faculty Senate Admissions Committee.
Readmission process for students dismissed once from any IU campus
- Students dismissed no more than one time from IU Kokomo or another IU campus and wishing to enroll at IU Kokomo must submit materials for readmission to the Office of Admissions. These materials will be conveyed to the academic unit at IU Kokomo they wish to be admitted to for a decision on readmission.
- The student should submit their materials to the Office of Admissions on or before July 15 to enroll Fall semester, or on or before December 1 to enroll Spring semester. The Office of Admissions will communicate these dates to students via the IU Kokomo website and other means as appropriate.
- Required materials for consideration shall minimally include a petition for readmission, a personal statement wherein the student explains their readiness for college re-entry, and official transcripts from all institutions attended (excluding Indiana University). These materials shall be reviewed in a timely manner by the designated academic program leader (e.g., Dean, Chair, or other designee).
- The designated academic program leader should meet (in person or via phone or web-enabled session) with the student to discuss the student's academic record and a possible plan for successful re-entry, as part of the process for deciding on the student’s readmission. If a decision and plan can be determined without a formal meeting, the unit retains discretion to proceed in that manner.
- The unit may admit the student with stipulations designed by the unit. The unit will be responsible for ensuring that the student is meeting these stipulations after enrollment. It would be expected that the student would achieve a semester GPA greater than 2.0 in their returning semester, so that progress toward raising the cumulative GPA above 2.0 is being made. Admission may be denied by the unit if the student’s likelihood of achieving a minimum 2.0 in their returning semester is judged to be extremely low.
- The unit is responsible for informing the Office of Admissions of the final decision on readmission. Admissions will then notify the student of the unit’s decision in writing, and will include any stipulations for admission determined by the unit for that student.
- If a student is readmitted, the student will be permitted to register but will be placed on academic probation. Thus the Academic Standing Policy on probation and dismissal from IU Kokomo will apply, and the student may be dismissed a second time at the end of any later semester if the student meets the criteria.
- After readmission, the academic unit may also prohibit registration for a subsequent semester if the stipulations set by the unit are not satisfied. If the student fails to meet the unit’s stipulations, the unit will to inform the Registrar in writing.
Readmission process for students dismissed once from a non-IU institution
- Applicants who have been academically dismissed from another institution will be admitted or denied admission to the campus by the Director of Admissions.
- If the student is admitted without an IU GPA, he or she is not considered on academic probation. However, the Director of Admissions may admit the student with stipulations. Consultation with academic unit designees should be part of determining stipulations.
- Units may determine their own processes for enrolling and supporting these students. For example, if the student’s non-IU record indicates that they are extremely unlikely to ever qualify for a particular program on campus, the unit or its representatives (i.e., academic advisors) may assist the student in considering alternative IU Kokomo programs.
- The Director of Admissions is responsible for monitoring conformity with any stipulations for continued enrollment.
Readmission process for students with two or more dismissals on their record
- Any student who has been academically dismissed two or more times from one institution, or from two or more institutions, is not eligible to enroll at IU Kokomo until a period of one year has elapsed from the date of the most recent dismissal.
- The IU Kokomo Faculty Senate Admissions Committee will determine whether the student may enroll at IU Kokomo. The petition and other required materials would ideally be submitted to the Office of Admissions by the identified dates for Fall or Spring enrollment, and would be conveyed to the Admissions Committee for timely review.
- The Admissions Committee may consult with the appropriate academic unit(s) as needed to make a decision on the student’s readmission.
- Units may determine their own processes for enrolling and supporting these students. For example, if the student’s record indicates that they are extremely unlikely to ever qualify for a particular program on campus, the unit or its representatives (i.e., academic advisors) may assist the student in considering alternative IU Kokomo programs.
- The Admissions Committee will inform the Office of Admissions of the final admission decision and any stipulations to be placed on the student. The Office of Admissions will then communicate the decision and stipulations to the student in writing. If a student is admitted with stipulations, the unit is responsible for monitoring conformity with those stipulations, and for informing the Registrar if a student fails to meet them and what action should be taken.If the readmitted student is an IU student, the student will be permitted to register but will be placed on academic probation. The Academic Standing Policy on probation and dismissal from IU Kokomo will apply, and the student may be dismissed at the end of any later semester if the student meets the criteria.
- If the student is not an IU student (that is, admitted without an IU GPA) he or she is not considered on academic probation. However, stipulations on admission can include the expectation that the student will maintain a GPA of greater than 2.0 or risk probation or dismissal from campus.
Faculty Senate approved on 4/15/2019.