Research and Grants at IU Kokomo
Grant submission procedures
This process applies to non-IU grant programs only:
- IU requires that finalized grant applications be submitted to ORA one week prior to the granting agency’s deadline. Therefore, when planning the steps below, target completion dates such that final submission (step 6) is complete at least 1 week prior to the grant’s stated deadline.
- Contact IU Kokomo’s Grant Writer and notify him/her of your intent to write a grant, including a link to the grant announcement. The Grant Writer will review the grant announcement and confer with you on how he/she can help you through the grant-writing process and advise you on content, the budget, and a timeline.
- The Grant Writer will contact the IU Office of Research Administration (ORA). IU’s ORA will assign a grant consultant to work with you.
IU ORA’s assigned grant consultant will email you, typically within a few days. The Grant Writer and the IU ORA grant consultant will help you gather appropriate paperwork for submission.
- As soon as you have developed the project’s budget, send it to the Grant Writer. He/she will make sure that the budget meets IU Kokomo’s approval and will then send it on for IU ORA comment.
- Once your grant proposal content, budget, and paperwork are finalized, send the final version to the Grant Writer. The Grant Writer will submit your grant to IU, and IU ORA will submit your grant to the funding agency.
NOTE: Use of the Grant Writer is optional and intended to support success in securing grant funding. Faculty and staff are permitted to complete the process without Grant Writer assistance as long as all of IU’s grant submission instructions are followed accurately (description available here: https://research.iu.edu). However, unassisted submitters must 1) notify the Grant Writer that you will be submitting your own grant proposal and 2) make sure your budget is approved by IU Kokomo’s Office of Finance and Administration.
Additionally, the grant writer can help seek out and research grants for a particular purpose, event, or idea. Reach out by email for their assistance.