Trustees Teaching Award Guidelines
The Trustees Teaching Award (TTA) was established by the Board of Trustees of Indiana University under the following guidelines:
- The TTA is to be awarded to no more than 6% of tenured and tenure-track faculty members and 6% of full-time lecturers and clinical faculty members who have demonstrated that they were the campus' best teachers during the previous calendar year.
- Recipients of the TTA shall receive $2500.
- Winners of the TTA are eligible to receive the award in subsequent years, however, to induce broader participation, there is a waiting period of 2 years before awardees are again eligible.
The following campus guidelines were developed in consultation with the Faculty Senate Faculty Affairs Committee and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. In addition, attention was given to the guidelines of other IU campuses in the formation of these guidelines. Recent revisions to the guidelines incorporated an alignment to the IU Kokomo Teacher Scholar Definition. Changes in these campus guidelines may be recommended by future Trustees Teaching Awards Committees.
Eligibility for the Award
Only tenured and tenure-track faculty members whose workload is at least 50% classroom instruction and full-time lecturers and clinical faculty members are eligible for the award.
Period Under Review
Awards are annual and will be based solely on the teaching contributions of the year under review.
Due Date for Award
The Dean/Director shall electronically send the nominated applications from their school/division to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for Faculty Development and Campus Assessment by April 1st. Faculty must submit their applications electronically to their Dean/Director prior to an earlier deadline set by their school/division.
Applying for the Award
The application process is as follows:
- The candidate submits an application to their Dean/Director by their unit's due date. The candidate's application must be in the form of the template below.
- The Dean/Director will use the unit's process for determining which applications to nominate for their unit. They may not total more than 25% of the unit's eligible faculty.
- The Dean/Director will send the unit's nominations to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for Faculty Development and Campus Assessment by April 1st.
School/Division Nominations for the Award
Schools/Divisions shall have a nomination process that limits the number of candidates to no more than 25% of the eligible faculty within their unit. The nomination process should be in writing and provided to the Academic Affairs office by the Dean.
Campus Level Teaching Award Committee
A committee called the Teaching Award Committee (TAC) will be responsible for
recommending campus recipients of the Trustees Teaching award to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. This committee will be constituted using processes similar to the formation of Faculty Senate Committees (Bylaws Section 1.2: Composition of Committees). It shall allow for representation of faculty from all academic units. Deans/Directors will be responsible for submitting the name of their unit's TAC representative to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs no later than September 1st of each year. As candidates will change from year to year, a new committee will be formed each year. Representatives to the committee are ineligible to receive a TTA in the years that they serve.
Campus Process for Selecting Award Winners
The process for selecting winners will consist of a review by the committee members using the scoring rubric. The TAC will evaluate the candidates by using the scoring rubric below, which is designed to coordinate with the award criteria.
The Office of Academic Affairs will inform unit candidates in writing as to whether or not they were successful in their application for a TTA. In no event will documents completed by committee members be made available to applicants, nor will there be any comments or summaries of scores given to applicants. Changes in these campus guidelines may be recommended by future TACs.
The number of awards given each year will be determined by the amount of money designated for the awards under Trustee guidelines.
Please find the Application Format, Cover Sheet, and Evaluation Rubric at this link, https://iu.box.com/s/kk563duku6c8rlcsr88qrneupu5wu0ta