Online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies
Want to explore writing and literature for yourself? Have an interest in teaching students how to craft a sound argument using logic, context, and an understanding of audience? Consider earning the online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies at Indiana University Kokomo!
In this program, you will develop a fluency with current topics, trends, and debates in the schools and theories. You will begin or continue to grow your pedagogy including approaches to composition and writing instruction.
While earning this certificate, areas of focus may include:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Developments, trends, and new frontiers in the digital humanities
- Developing archival research skills and facility with electronic resources
- Reading strategies and literary analysis skills
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- And more!
This online graduate certificate is offered completely online and taught by the same IU professors who teach on-campus classes. Take courses with professors from IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU East, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) has mandated that all high school teachers are required to hold a master’s degree in the field or a master’s degree plus 18 credit hours of graduate coursework in a specific discipline. This program can help you prepare to teach dual-credit courses or it can help you to teach at the community college level.
To earn the online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies, you will complete a total of 20 credit hours.
Please note: If you choose to pursue the IU Online MA in English, this certificate may apply toward your degree requirements. Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies does not constitute admission into any of the face-to-face graduate programs in English at the participating campuses.
To be accepted into the online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies, you must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree: To enroll in this program, you must possess either a BA in English (or a related bachelor’s degree in education with an English specialization, concentration, or outside area) or two years of secondary teaching experience in literature or composition classes
- Have a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
To apply for this program online, you will need to provide:
A 250-word personal statement explaining background and reasons for entering the program
TOEFL scores (for international students only)
Get started today!
Ready to begin this program? If the online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies sounds like the right next step for your career, we’re excited for you! Don’t wait to apply to this program!
Still have questions about this certificate? Want to know what it’s like to be an online student? Get more information about the online Graduate Certificate in Composition Studies from IU Online.