Online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature
Ready to dive in to the core principles of writing and literature? Interested in teaching dual-credit courses or teaching at the community college level? Consider earning your online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature at Indiana University Kokomo!
In this program, you’ll expand your horizons and learn how to expand the horizons of your students! Learn to teach students how to craft a sound argument that considers logic, context, and audience. You’ll also study and be able to attest to current debates, schools, and theories of writing instruction.
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) says that high school teachers are required to hold a master’s degree in the field or a master’s degree plus 18 credit hours of graduate coursework in a specific discipline. This program can help you prepare to teach dual-credit courses or it can help you to teach at the community college level.
In this program, specific focus areas include:
- Current theory of the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Developing trends in digital humanities
- Fostering discussions
- Linguistic structures and history of the English language
- And more!
This program is 100% online, making it flexible and convenient for you and your busy life. You won’t have to sacrifice quality for convenience, though, because this consortial program is taught by the same on-campus professors who teach at IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU East, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
To successfully complete the online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature, you will complete a total of 20 credit hours. These hours break down as follows:
- Language and literature core courses (16 credit hours)
- Language and literature elective course (4 credit hours)
Please note: If you choose to pursue the IU Online MA in English, this certificate may apply toward your degree requirements. Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature does not constitute admission into any of the face-to-face graduate programs in English at the participating campuses.
To be accepted to this program, you are required to have:
- A bachelor’s degree: To enroll in this program, you must possess either a BA in English (or a related bachelor’s degree in education with an English specialization, concentration, or outside area) or two years of secondary teaching experience in literature or composition classes
- A 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
To fill out the application, you will need to provide:
- Offical Transcripts
- A 250-word personal statement explaining background and reasons for entering the program
- TOEFL scores (for international students only)
Get Started Today
We’re excited for you to take your next step! If the online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature sounds like it aligns with your goals, don’t wait! Apply to this convenient online program today!
Want more details about this graduate certificate? Have questions about what it might be like to become an online student? Learn more about the online Graduate Certificate in Language and Literature from IU Online.