Online Graduate Certificate in Literature
Love studying literature? Want to expand your teaching abilities to include dual-credit or community college level teaching? It may be time to enroll in the online Graduate Certificate in Literature at Indiana University Kokomo!
In this program, you will explore the core principles of literature. You’ll also continue to grow your personal teaching style. You’ll complete this program with an understanding of how to read and analyze texts and contexts and to write literary analysis.
While earning this certificate, you may focus on areas, including:
- Contemporary theory on the pedagogy of composition and literature
- Developments and trends in the digital humanities
- Fostering discussion
- Reading strategies and literary analysis
- Approaches to composition and writing instruction<
- And more!
This online graduate certificate is offered completely online and taught by the same IU professors who teach on-campus classes. Take courses with professors from IU Bloomington, IUPUI, IU Kokomo, IU East, IU Northwest, IU South Bend, and IU Southeast.
According to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), high school teachers are required to hold a master’s degree in the field or a master’s degree plus 18 credit hours of graduate coursework in a specific discipline. This program can help you prepare to teach dual-credit courses or it can help you to teach at the community college level.
To earn the online Graduate Certificate in Literature, you will complete a total of 20 credit hours. The credit hours break down as follows:
- Literature core courses (12 credit hours)
- Two literature elective course (8 credit hours)
Please note: If you choose to pursue the IU Online MA in English, this certificate may apply toward your degree requirements. Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Literature does not constitute admission into any of the face-to-face graduate programs in English at the participating campuses.
To gain acceptance into this program, you must:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree: To enroll in this program, you must possess either a BA in English (or a related bachelor’s degree in education with an English specialization, concentration, or outside area) or two years of secondary teaching experience in literature or composition classes
- Have a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale
To apply online, you will need to provide:
- Official transcripts
- A 250-word personal statement explaining background and reasons for entering the program
- TOEFL scores (for international students only)
Dive in and get Started!
Ready to take the next step? If the online Graduate Certificate in Literature sounds like the perfect way to get to the next level in your career, don’t hesitate. Apply for this program today!
Have a few more questions about this program? Want to know what it’s like to be an online student? Get more information about the online Graduate Certificate in Literature from IU Online.