After searching, get the physical materials you need. This page cover the process, which depends on your search results.
- If the item is available, you can find it on either the first or second floor of our library. See Book Location Guide for item locations.
- If the item is unavailable, you can request it from another IU library using IUCAT. Other options include requesting through SRCS or Tipasa. See the "Requesting items from other libraries" section below.
- Non-IU Kokomo affiliates should request items through their local libraries.
Requesting items from other libraries
- IUCAT: You can request delivery of an item that is available at another IU library. Sign in to your account, click "Request This" on the detailed record for the item, choose Kokomo as your pickup library, and then click on the Request Delivery button.
- SRCS: Indiana's Statewide Remote Circulation Service allows you to request physical items that are available in Indiana libraries.
- Tipasa: You can also fill out our interlibrary loan (ILL) request form through the Tipasa service to request materials available worldwide.
Find in-depth details about these services on our guide, Interlibrary Loan (Request an item from another library).
Non-IU Kokomo affiliates should request items through their local libraries.
How your request is processed
Materials loaned from other libraries are available for varying lengths of time, depending on the lending library. We will do our best to find a copy of your requested item that will be available for the longest loan period.
- All interlibrary loan requests are first searched in IUCAT, as these items typically offer the longest loan periods. Items usually arrive within 3-5 business days.
- If an item is not available in IUCAT, we may recommend SRCS, which has a recommended minimum loan period of 21 days.
- If an item is not available in IUCAT or SRCS, we then use Tipasa, our Interlibrary Loan system, to request items from other partner libraries around the world. Loan periods vary, but many institutions provide a minimum 30-day loan period. Items typically arrive in 7-10 business days.
Picking up ILL materials
Interlibrary loaned materials can be picked up at the library's Circulation desk.
We aim to obtain materials for users as quickly as possible and will pay associated fees to lending libraries. It can take 7-10 days for ILL materials to arrive. Journal articles and book chapters usually arrive more quickly.
A recall is a request to the Library to ask another user who has checked out an item to bring it back to the Library, no later than the current due date stated in IUCAT. When the item is returned, you will be notified via your IU email that it is available to pick up. If an item you have checked out has been recalled, you will be unable to renew the item, and it will be due on its original due date, after which the standard fines will apply.
Before you submit a recall request:
- Use Request Delivery to obtain the item from another IU Campus.
- IU Kokomo students, faculty, and staff: For an item that is only held at Kokomo and is checked out, place an Interlibrary Loan request.
To submit a recall request, email email@example.com and include the following details:
Suggest a purchase
If there is a book, journal, DVD, or other material that you believe should be in the Library's collection, complete our Library Material Order Form. The request will be sent to our Acquisitions team, who will contact you when the item has been purchased, if you would like.