Normal operating hours for campus buildings are 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Friday, when classes are in session. With the exception of the library and art gallery, buildings are closed on weekends, unless used for scheduled classes or special events.
Any person utilizing a key(s) to access a building(s) outside of the normal operating hours should inform Physical Facilities staff, at 765-455-9273, of your access to the building. Please check to make sure doors close and lock behind you as you enter and depart secured buildings. Some doors may not secure properly unless pulled or pushed shut. Buildings opened for events outside of normal operating hours will be secured as soon as possible after completion of the event. Additionally, reasonable access will be provided for preparation, set-up, and other such activities. If a building needs to be opened for an approved event, the Indiana University Police Department Kokomo and the Director of Physical Facilities must be notified at least two weeks in advance.
A scheduled closing occurs when the campus is closed in observance of a designated holiday. In accordance with Indiana University policy, the designated holidays are:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day
Additionally scheduled closings include the workdays between Christmas Day and New Year's Day, weekend days preceding a Monday holiday and weekend days following a Friday holiday.
All buildings will be closed and locked during scheduled closings. Faculty and staff who require access to buildings during scheduled closings must:
- Obtain advance approval from their supervisor.
- The supervisor should forward the request to the Director of Physical Facilities.
- Upon entering a building during scheduled closings, the staff and faculty must notify Physical Facilities staff at 765-455-9273.
- Ensure that doors are closed and locked as they enter and depart secured buildings. Some doors may not secure properly unless pulled or pushed shut.
The campus will be staffed with Physical Facilities personnel who provide facility support and security. No events, campus-sponsored or otherwise, will be permitted when the campus is closed.
Emergency closings are unscheduled and may relate to weather, health, safety or other threatening situations which create concern for campus employees and students. During emergency closings, please do as specified:
- Students, faculty, and staff will be alerted by IU Notify and should pay extra attention to the instructions/details provided.
- Only authorized and essential personnel, as designated by the Director of Physical Facilities, will be on campus during emergency closings.
- When emergency conditions exist, employees not authorized as essential personnel may be held personally liable for injury or damage if they remain on campus.
- Exceptions to this policy may only be authorized by the Director of Physical Facilities