- When a position becomes vacant, the hiring official should review the Role Descriptor for the vacant position that is located in the Career Navigator. The hiring official can add departmental duties to the fundamental duties and/or revise a few of the fundamental duties. Preferred qualifications can be added also, but required qualifications cannot be changed.
- The hiring official should then initiate the Position Request Authorization and exception forms.
- Appropriate justification for filling the vacancy and any support costs should be attached to the authorization form.
- Exceptions to these procedures must be approved by the Chancellor at the time the Position Request Authorization form is submitted.
- After the Chancellor has approved the Position Request Authorization, the Office of the Chancellor will e-mail the completed form to the hiring official, the Affirmative Action Officer, and the Director of Human Resources.
- After the Position Request Authorization form has been approved, the hiring official is responsible for selecting members of the department to participate in the interview process.
- The hiring official should send an e-mail to the Director of Human Resources and the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff with the proposed reviewers.
3 Once the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff has approved the reviewers, an e-mail should be sent to the Director of Human Resources
4 The role of this group is to:
- Identify those candidates to receive an initial interview; that list should be sent to the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff and Director of Human Resources for approval
- list the strengths and weaknesses of each of the candidates that received an initial interview and identify 2-3 candidates that should move to a second interview; this list should be sent to the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff and Director of Human Resources for approval.
- after second interview, strengths and weaknesses of acceptable candidates for hire should be sent to the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff and Director of Human Resources for approval.
5 The hiring official should schedule the first meeting. The Director of Human Resources and the hiring official should attend the first meeting. At this meeting the Hiring Official will review the projected timeline for filling the vacancy.
- IU Kokomo internal postings will be posted within five working days. External postings should be posted for at least 10 working days.
- Human Resources will perform the initial screening of applicants to ensure candidates meet the minimum qualifications
- Hiring official and reviewers will review the pool of applicants and designate the candidates they would like to interview
- Hiring official forwards the initial candidate pool to the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff and Director of Human Resources for review and approval
- Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff notifies the hiring official and the Director of Human Resources when the candidate pool is approved
- After approval, Human Resources will contact the candidates for an interview. At this time any additional information about the position, including salary, will be given.
- Update system should any of the candidates withdraw from the search
- Notify the hiring official of any changes in the candidate pool, or any concerns regarding salary, withdrawal reasons, failure to contact, etc.
- The Office of Human Resources will schedule initial zoom interviews and/or on-campus interviews with the selected candidates
- Human Resources updates candidate status.
- Director of Human Resources, hiring official, and department reviewers will interview candidates
- Second Interviews will be scheduled with others as appropriate for the position
- Interviews will be scheduled with the appropriate vice-chancellor when applicable
- Faculty and staff will be notified if open sessions are scheduled
- Hiring official or designee escorts candidate(s) the day of the on-campus interview
- Hiring official/department reviewers should submit a written report of candidates’ strengths and weaknesses within three days following the final interview to the Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff and the Director of Human Resources for hiring.
- Affirmative Action Officer/Chief of Staff notifies Hiring official and Director of Human Resources of approval of hiring.
- Human Resources checks references on the approved candidate that is being recommended for the position
- After references are checked, Director of Human Resources extends a verbal offer to the selected candidate.
- After candidate accepts the verbal offer, the Office of Human Resources sends written offer letter to the candidate
- Office of Human Resources notifies all other candidates that the position has been filled.